Feb 25, 2009

Meet cool Ohio University instructor Sally J from Syria (Part I)


Sipping her favorite Nescafe coffee, Sally J, an Arabic and OPIE professor at Ohio University and a graduate student at the linguistic department, told me how she enjoys her experience in America. Having been living in the U.S. for two years, she honestly said that she is still learning the America culture. I caught up with Sally in OU’s Gordy Hall and asked her some questions about her experience with the American culture.

Tell me about Syria and where you lived.


“Syria is a very beautiful country. I am from the capital (Damascus), which is a very big city. Very crowded, full of cars and people and very busy all the time.”

What about the religions of Syria?


“The majority of people are Muslims, but the country in general is not an Islamic country. We have Christians and some Jews too.”

What is your religion?


“I am a Christian. Why do you ask me all the religious questions? Does it matter? Is it important?”

I was just curious about your country because I had an impression that it is a Muslim country, but you didn’t seem like you are a Muslim.


“Some people they don’t like to be asked about their religion. Me, I personally don’t mind but other people may not.”

Really?

“I notice that, in America, a lot of people don’t ask about religions. There are lots of things that they never ask about. For example, religions, salaries, like small private stuff.”

Do you notice any other cultural differences?

“I learned that bars are not that bad. People hang out in bars. Back home, bar doesn’t sound like a nice social place to hang out with your friends. I just learned that here it is very normal to go to a bar. It’s like going to a restaurant. It doesn’t have the same social aspect. I didn’t really go to bars (back home).”

Is it because bars are for gangsters?


“I have never been. I don’t know. It may be because going to bar was not on top of my list to do for fun. It’s a big city. There is a lot more to do. I would like to go to a restaurant or coffee shop with my friends and smoke some hookah sometimes.”

How are the hookah bars here different from the hookah bars there?


“(The one by OU) is not a hookah place. (People in Syria) are more professional. They know what they are doing. It is just one place with no window. (In Syria), they (hookah bars) are just part of the coffee shops. There are tons of more options. From the popular (hookah) places, to the very expensive ones, to fancy ones, you can find one wherever go. Here you have just one option. I don’t like it because it is gloomy with no light, no window. It’s like locking yourself in a room and smoking.”

What is your impression on American people?


“(Americans) are really nice. I like them. Before I came here, I had it on my mind. I knew what to expect. I met more international students than American students. This is very nice and interesting. The Diversity of Ohio University gives it a very nice flavor. You meet people from all over the world. Sometimes, I feel like I know more about the rest of the world than Americans because I have met more international people than American people. But it’s fun.”

3 comments:

  1. I really like the topic for your blog, Kerry. I've always wondered what the international students think about us. I think you did a great job with transparency with this post too, typing out word for word what was said in the interview. I think the green text and the background really highlight each other too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great blog idea. I like the question and answer format. I also like the questions you have for people to comment on. Great audience interaction. I'm writing a blog about OPIE and I recently linked to yours to talk about culture. I think it would be interesting if you did a post on China and the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting interview- thanks for conducting it Kerry! I agree with Lindsey, you are really showing you transparency!

    ReplyDelete